Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Letter from the Gentleman Farmer to The President

Dear Mr. President,

Happy New Year, January 1st, 2012; a new beginning, new events, and another new election.  I am a very average, middle class citizen in Minnesota with renewed hopes for a better year for my family, myself, my country, and in fact my world.  I have never before written to any government official, state or federal. Although I am an advocate of your leadership and policies, I find most of my friends, family and neighbors in a persistent cynical and sarcastic state of mind about the benefits and contributions of almost any aspect of government these days.  The polarization of our political, social and ethical viewpoints disallows for constructive conversation or debate.  Our Congress is a most visible example.  However, your presidency and administration receives credit for the lethargy and time lost, regardless of fault. I also feel that fault as a citizen. Mr. President, please connect with those still unemployed with hope and means for a paycheck, because most still dream of a hand up instead of a hand out.  Mr. President, please connect with the "Occupy Wallstreet" people, the "99%" people,  and the 1% who are the richest people of our nation.  Please show all these groups with your personal example the obvious differences between the public good and personal gain. If those connections can be made, you may affect the fabric of our country and world for generations, for the good.  Otherwise I fear the fabric will tear yet again in the fears and anger of "nothing to lose" violence and uprising too common in our world that cannot seem to remember the lessons of history.  I can see no better man to vote for in November, but I find that much less important than this year of leadership you have been granted to unlock the doors of disillusionment and energize the words of Lincoln, "...with malice toward none and charity to all..."

Best regards,

The Gentleman Farmer
Dayton, Minnesota

No comments:

Post a Comment